Sunday 4 September 2016

Wishing




I was standing here in Prince Edward Island looking at the water and wishing people were more like it.  Wishing I could look at them and see past any shit on the surface right down deep inside of them to all the life they wish they could hide. Wishing I could know if the waves on their surface are the only momentum they have or if they only exist to distract me from what's going on underneath. Wishing that a simple glance could tell me how shallow or deep they are.

I wish people could look at me and see who I am rather than get distracted by all the bullshit that's going on inside their own heads; wish it didn't make it impossible for them to see me clearly.

Some people look at water and they want it to be clear, revealing. Some people are disappointed when they look and don't see a reflection of themselves.

When water is dark, dirty or murky most of us turn away disinterested, disgusted by what we cannot know. We do not want to linger on the shore or lounge on the beach hoping the smell dissipates and the water clears. Not so with people. With people we assume mystery, we want to wade into their funk so we can work at finding out what's underneath.

Admittedly, sometimes a short vigil is warranted. A storm may have just passed. The water may simply need time to resettle.

Underneath all water seen and unseen, lays a bottom littered with debris and/or laden with treasure. Whether beautiful or parasitic, there is also some form of life.

What does water make you wish for?

1 comment:

  1. Knowing Vera is knowing the many thoughts and impulses that glue each word together as she writes. What a privilege I have to simply hold this complex, beautiful woman in my life, in my home, in my arms, in my thoughts, in my heart, and in my prayers. What an honour I have to read the words created from the purity within her eyes.
    Always and Forever,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete